“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say, it’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
- Maya Angelou
Here’s to all my ladies today and everyday.
1. Video - India.Arie
One of my favorite artists of all time.
2. Girl They Won’t Believe It - Joss Stone
A strut-down-the-street song.
3. Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks
Makes me want to never stop running.
4. Independent Women, Pt. 1 - Destiny’s Child
All time theme song.
5. Toxic - Britney Spears
She’s secretly all our inner spirit animal.
6. I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
The perfect pick-me-up after a bad breakup. (Or a bad day in general).
7. Hit ‘Em up Style (Oops!) - Blu Cantrell
You know when a relationship ends then want to look really good the next time you see that person? This is that song.
8. Delayed Devotion - Duffy
Sing this in the car when you just want to drive.
9. Mama - LunchMoney Lewis
Tell your Mom you love her (a little extra today)…
10. You’re No Good - Linda Ronstadt
…And then turn this on and sing this together
11. No Scrubs - TLC
Everyone should know this song (and make it their anthem).
12. Gloria: In Excelsis Deo - Patti Smith
Too good to leave out.
(I was in a vinyl shop in Hollywood a few weeks ago - this song came on and everyone in the store started jamming. All ages, all kinds of people, together. It was great.)
13. Femme Fatale - The Velvet Underground
“Here she comes, you better watch your step. She’s gonna break your heart in two, it’s true…”
14. Treat Me Like Fire - LION BABE
Pure female power.
15. Hollaback Girl - Gwen Stefani.
16. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
This is currently very applicable - need I say more?
17. Nasty - Janet Jackson
Bless this song forever. I am so glad this exists.
18. Respect - Aretha Franklin
19. Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Classic. Just classic.
Now lets go do it.
Happy Women’s Day!