If you’re like me, then one of your favorite parts about going to the movies is the previews. I’m that person who likes to be on time and get there before the previews begin because I desperately want to know what will be hitting theaters in the next few months. It might be that I have quite the obsession, and can’t control my wallet from spending money on movie tickets, but it’s exciting to see a new story unfold right before my eyes. So, if you’re just like me or are just curious, here are ten upcoming films to have on your radar for the next time you hit the theater!
- The Hate U Give:The Hate U Give stars Amandla Stenberg as Starr, who witnesses the death of her black childhood best friend after he is fatally shot by a white police officer. Starr finds herself navigating two worlds: the black, poor neighborhood she lives in, and the rich prep school she attends. She soons feels pressure from both sides of the community and must learn to find her voice and fight for what’s right. The film will touch upon issues like race, class, and police brutality—topics that are still relevant today. The Hate U Give is based on the critically acclaimed New York Times bestseller by Angie Thomas.
Release Date: October 19, 2018
- Mandy:Mandy is an action horror film starring Nicolas Cage. If you like horror and gore, add this to your watch list! The film takes place somewhere in the Shadow Mountains in the year of 1983. Red Miller, played by Nicolas Cage, has fallen in love with Mandy, a charming girl played by Andrea Riseborough. They’re both living peacefully until a band of cultists and supernatural creatures get involved. Red becomes determined to hunt them down. After watching this trailer, I’m mostly intrigued by the cinematography, which will definitely define the mood and aesthetic of the film.
Release Date: September 14, 2018
- Beautiful Boy: Call Me By Your Name fans, rejoice! Our precious boy, Timothee Chalamet, is returning to the screen! I may or may not have watched this trailer more than ten times already...but I digress. Beautiful Boy is based on the best-selling memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff. It tells the heartbreaking and inspiring story of David Sheff, played by Steve Carell, as he navigates and copes with the drug addiction of his son Nic Sheff, played by Timothee Chalamet. I’m really excited to see the dynamic and relationship between these two characters, and rumors say that this film could possibly gain Timothee another Oscar nomination, and boy oh boy do I hope this comes true! But also, does anyone else think that Timothee’s curls deserve a nomination all on their own? One thing’s for sure, have those tissues ready, ‘cause this one’s going to be a tearjerker!
Release Date: October 12, 2018
- Venom: Marvel fans, this one’s for you! Venom is finally coming to the big screen. Known as one of the most complex and notorious villains out there, the character will be played by Tom Hardy as he takes on the role of Eddie Brock. Eddie is an investigative journalist who becomes the host of a symbiote (aka Venom) that’s been experimented on by the leader of the Life Foundation, a survivalist group. He must now face a living creature inside him who has now taken control of his life.
Release Date: October 5, 2018
- Assassination Nation: The beginning of this trailer reminds me a bit of The Purge. It’s very vague in regards to its plotline, but whoever is narrating the story states: “This is a thousand percent a true story about how the quiet, all-American town of Salem absolutely lost its mind.” It then transitions to highlight big topics such as racism, homophobia, violence, drug use, etc., possibly hinting to the overall plotline of the film. In other words, it’s definitely the biggest tease ever! Personally films like these aren’t my cup of tea, but if you’re a fan of a suspenseful thriller, this might be one to check out.
Release Date: September 21, 2018
- Hot Summer Nights: The first thing that made me say yes to this film, besides Timothee Chalamet of course, is the opening song, “Tarzan Boy” by Baltimora. It is such a jam, and I thank this trailer for bringing it out from the depths of ‘80s music. Okay, back to the trailer. The film stars Timothee Chalamet as Daniel, an introverted teen who is sent to Cape Cod to spend the summer with his aunt. He then finds himself in a business partnership with the town’s small-time drug dealer, Hunter Strawberry (played by Alex Roe), and they begin to build up a big clientele. What’s really interesting about this trailer is the angles at which the scenes were shot. The illusionistic moments really provide a psychedelic twist I’m excited to see!
Limited Release Date: July 27, 2018
- Bohemian Rhapsody: Bohemian Rhapsody is a biographical film about the British rock band Queen and its lead singer Freddie Mercury, who will be played by Rami Malek. It will highlight the band’s formation, his struggle with coming to terms with his sexuality, and the band’s performance at the Live Aid in 1985. I’m honestly super excited about this film! I love a good biopic, and the trailer alone already has me pumped. Also, can we please talk about the fashion and hair?! Queen fans, I think you’re going to love this one!
Release Date: November 2, 2018
- Bad Times at the El Royale: If you’re into mystery and plot twists that have you at the edge of your seat, then Bad Times at The El Royale is the film you’re going to want to watch. Personally, these are some of my favorite films to watch because they don’t give me the chance to predict what will happen next; they keep me guessing. Based on the trailer, the film follows seven strangers, all with a dark past, who meet at a rundown hotel with secrets they want to bury. They all have one last shot at redemption, but it soon gets bloody and some are in for a rude awakening.
Release Date: October 12, 2018
- The Spy Who Dumped Me: Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon. Do I have your attention? I know, such a fun pairing! I’m mad at myself for never imagining them starring in a film together! They play Audrey and Morgan, two best friends in their thirties who embark on an action-packed mission to save the world from deadly assassins after Audrey (Mila’s character) gets dumped by her boyfriend who turns out to be a secret spy! In other words, it’s going to be an epic ride.
Release Date: August 3, 2018
- Peppermint: Peppermint stars Jennifer Garner as Riley, a mother and wife who seeks revenge after a dangerous cartel murders her daughter and husband. After the system fails to provide justice because of dirty cops and unfit judges, she decides to take matters into her own hands. I haven’t seen Jennifer play such an action-packed role since her Elektra days, so I’m pretty stoked to see her play such a badass role!
Release Date: September 7, 2018